Sunday, December 1, 2013

-31 days: 365 project #3

Hello! I'm Xenia, most reading this probably know me already, but I wanted to do an introduction post for those that don't. I'm 25, currently living in Anchorage, Alaska, married to an Army soldier, and this will be my third 365 self-portrait project. By the time I *start* the project on January 01st, 2014, I will have finished my Bachelor's degree in Art, emphasis in photography.

I got my first digital camera for Christmas 2003--when I was fifteen--and started taking self-portraits right away. I had NO idea what I was doing, but I liked learning and enjoyed the bonding that occurred by sharing pictures with my online friends. It was a 1.3 megapixel camera with no viewing screen, but it had a self-timer, so I began experimenting. I did have friends who occasionally modeled for me, but I was somewhat embarrassed to ask to take pictures of them, so I stuck with self-portraits.


My first 365 project began on my 20th birthday (September 20, 2008), I wanted to capture my "golden" year (when you turn the age of the day of the month you were born it is known as your "golden birthday") in photo form. I began the year with a picture of myself with my parents, because without them I wouldn't be who I am.

My second 365 began on the day my husband deployed for the 3rd time (November 28, 2011). It was my first winter in Alaska (and my first time living by myself), I didn't have many friends, and I knew I was going to need motivation to get dressed every day to prevent myself from slipping into a depression, so I resolved to keep myself accountable to my internet friends.

Now that I'm on my third 365 project, I sort of feel like a ~pro at this sort of thing, so I wanted to create this blog to encourage others to begin and finish their own 365s. I have seen many people begin these projects, but lose steam and quit part way through. 365s are a BIG commitment, but I feel like I have learned SO much through them (both about photography and about myself) that I recommend them to everyone.

I'm looking forward to this challenge and I am hoping that those reading this will be inspired to begin their own projects! Leave a comment if you are planning to do a 365 this January (or any time soon, really), or if you have any questions. Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Xenia

P.S. Happy Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment