Wednesday, December 4, 2013

-28 days: Why 365 days

Why do a year long photography project?

Several reasons!


Develop your photography skills. Any sort of skill takes time and dedication to develop. Committing to a 365 day project is hard work, but by exercising your photography skills every day you will be virtually guaranteed to see a difference at the end of the year. The time you invest in being creative and thoughtful will reward you with a keen eye and better pictures.

Photos from the beginning and the end of my first 365 project. Definitely a difference in creativity, composition, and technique.

Practice self-discipline and commitment. When was the last time you began and finished such a big project that was just for yourself? You may have others keeping you accountable for your 365, but when it comes down to it, the only person you let down if you fail is yourself. You can take a huge amount of pride in yourself for being disciplined enough to persist in this endeavor.


Record your life. Doing a photo project for a whole year is basically like keeping a visual diary. You will be able to look back at your year and see the challenges that you faced and how you overcame them. Also, your 365 may have been something you started for yourself, but 10 years down the line, it may be a collection of photos your children will enjoy looking through to see what their parent's life was like in 2014.
I was sick on New Year's Eve of my second 365. I probably wouldn't remember that if I hadn't taken a photo and written it down.

Learn more about yourself. During my first 365 I first realized that I was almost a hermit when I wasn't in classes. I had to make a big effort to get outside and step outside my comfort zone. I knew that I was a homebody, but didn't realize how much of one I was until my photos revealed it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment